If you are the parent or carer of an Aspergers / Autism Spectrum child, then you know only too well that ASD people can have intense bouts of anxiety, despair, depression or any other dark state of mind. This is made worse by the fact that, often (though not always), the mental state is a reaction to feedback from the outside world. I hope to give you a tool that will help you empower your child and give him or her instant relief from the grips of these emotional states.
If you want to help your Aspergers / Autism Spectrum child go on to lead an independent and fulfilling life, you will have to teach him or her coping strategies for dealing with these states of mind and situations as they arise. We can try to control a child’s environment to minimize these reactions, but, ultimately, we must give our children tools to assist them in coping with life beyond the “controllable” structures we may currently have in place.
These intense, dark states of mind are damaging! If they are repetitive, they reinforce themselves with each episode and eventually become a negative belief (often a belief that erodes self-esteem) that will anchor itself to your child and accompany him or her throughout life. Furthermore, if perpetuated over time, these states of mind can actually change the chemistry in the brain, which can lead to clinical depression and other chemically-based mental health issues.
The good news is, there is a very simple tool you can try immediately to give your child instant relief from the agony caused by these states of mind. And the better news is, there is absolutely no cost for you to try it. It’s called EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique).
Things You Should Know About EFT:
- EFT is based on the same pressure points discovered thousands of years ago in the ancient east and widely used today in alternative therapies such as acupuncture.
- EFT is about tapping gently on these pressure points with the tips of your fingers. It couldn’t possibly be easier, safer, more accessible or more risk free than it already is.
- EFT is based on the assertion that emotional trauma gets “stored” in our bodies, not just our minds. This is absolutely true in respect of the fact that all emotion is a chemical reaction dictated by the brain. These chemicals are secreted into the bloodstream and they lock onto the cells of our bodies and STAY THERE. In other words, your body “remembers” the trauma and holds onto it on a physiological, biochemical level. EFT helps your body to release the “memory”.
- Gary Craig, the founder of EFT, is a Stanford graduate. This may sound “woo-woo” or “new age”, but it is based on scientific principle.
- Gary Craig has always offered the basic knowledge and teachings of EFT free of charge. His intention is to help humanity. This is not a gimmick or a get rich quick scheme.
Why You Should Try EFT With Your Child:
- Because it works! I taught this technique to my eldest (now 20 year old) Aspie in his late teens and he still uses it today. (And he is a scientist!) I have helped my children with everything from deep sadness to hiccups using EFT.
- Because it will make your child laugh and distract him or her from the trauma. Even if you don’t believe EFT can really work, try it for the fun of it! It tickles a little bit and feels silly. You can even have your child tap on a teddy bear while you tap on him or her.
- Because it is a tool your child can learn and take with him or her into the future. This is a gem of a tool that deserves a central place in the repertoire of coping skills your child needs to blossom fully into his or her potential.
- Because it will help your child to feel empowered, knowing that s/he can gain some control over a process that feels as though it is hijacking his or her emotions.
- Because it will help you too! Let’s face it, it’s excruciating for us too when we see our child suffering. Do it together with your child. Make a game of it if you want – s/he has a go then you have a go.
- Because you can even use an “emergency” version of EFT for difficult behavior and meltdowns.
You can learn this wonderful and easy technique for free or simply read more about EFT by visiting the website http://www.eftuniverse.com/. Click on this link and then choose “About EFT” or “Learn EFT” in the menu on the left.
It’s never too late to start EFT. Don’t worry if you think your child is too old to take to it. As I said, my eldest Aspie was already in his mid teens when I started this with him and he still uses it today. Besides, ASD children tend to be quite “young” for their age anyway.
For the record, I don’t use EFT to try to “cure” my children of autism. I don’t want to “cure” them – I believe autism should be celebrated, not cured. However, I am all for “treating” the difficult aspects of autism to make life easier for the ASD person and his or her loved ones.
As a parent, it’s devastating to see your Aspergers / Autism Spectrum child suffer from intense anxiety, despair, depression or any other negative state of mind. It is imperative to find and give your child tools that will help him or her recognize and overcome a negative mental state as it arises. ASD people deserve to feel empowered and EFT is a lifelong tool they can use to do just that.